Tamaki Maori Village Rotorua is New Zealand’s most awarded Maori Cultural attraction.
Evening Maori Culture Experience & Traditional Hangi Feasting
The village comes alive with the sights, sounds and activities of days gone by, where you will discover Maori art forms, ancient rituals and traditions, including facial tattooing, warrior training, stick games, weaving, carving demonstrations and more. Learn the world famous haka, or try your hand at the graceful poi. View your hangi meal as it is pulled up from the earthen pit where it has been cooking on hot rocks in the ground for several hours before your arrival! Then experience a powerful and thrilling performance of song, dance, the art of weaponry and much more in the traditional Wharenui (meeting house).
Finally, sharing food is an important part of Maori custom, so you will then be invited to share a traditional hangi buffet feast with your Maori hosts.
– Transfers to and from all Rotorua accommodation
– Traditional welcome ceremony
– Life-sized interactive Maori Village experience
– Powerful and entertaining cultural performance
– Traditional Hangi Buffet Feast followed by a delicious dessert
– Wheelchair accessible, highchairs available
– Vegetarians and other special dietary requirements catered upon request
– Licenced bar available
Tamaki Maori Village – Overnight Marae Stay Experience
This is a very rare and unique opportunity for visitors to New Zealand to spend time with ‘our’ people in an authentic overnight marae stay experience at Tamaki Maori Village. Situated in the heart of the Tamaki Maori Village Tribal Marketplace are two newly developed and intricately carved Wharemoe (sleeping houses). Each wharemoe has been created with an attention to detail to ensure the overnight stay experience is as authentic as possible. Visitor comfort is paramount, each 150mm mattress is built into a bed base, there are individual night lights, heat pumps for warmth in winter and air conditioning in summer, and more.
– Personal Maori welcome
– Afternoon tea
– Full immersed in Marae protocols
– Learning the stories of our history as depicted in the carvings of the sleeping houses
– Learn words and actions to a traditional Maori waiata (song)
– Enjoy Tamaki Maori Village Evening cultural experience and hangi feast
– Relax around the campfire at the end of the night where your personal Maori guide will share stories and answer any questions you may have
– Retreat to your male or female wharemoe where you will experience a communal overnight sleeping experience within Tamaki Village
– Separate male and female bathroom facilities are provided
– Breakfast the next day is included and there is the option of extending your stay by participating in a half day interactive programme where you can learn the arts and crafts of Maori such as weaving, carving, weaponry, performing arts and more.
For further information click here